Seven Tips to Optimize Video Content Management
Share on Social
As an Apple user at home, I’ve come to appreciate how easy it is to keep my videos and photos organized. Though I use my iPhone to capture these important moments, they sync and show up magically on all my devices without me having to do a thing. Unfortunately, seamless digital content management experiences like this are mostly limited to consumer tech – they’re not the reality for most enterprise employees who create or interact with video assets for work.
You Created a Video – Now What?
According to The Aragon Research Globe™ for Enterprise Video, 2022 report, “The demand for video is here and accessing video content demands more than just storing videos in a file share or cloud repository.”
Why? If you’ve ever tried to email a video file to someone, there’s a good chance your email bounced back. The dynamic, rich-media nature of videos makes them heavy in size, which creates all sorts of headaches for people trying to store or share them.
Then there’s the challenge of indexing video assets effectively. Let’s say you take the time to create a tutorial video on how to format tables in Excel. Then, you save the video and wait for the “thank you” emails to start rolling in. Many of your colleagues could benefit from these time-saving tips… except they don’t even know your video exists! When video metadata isn’t properly optimized, content becomes very hard to search for and find amongst thousands of other video files. And what about sensitive or confidential video assets that should only be seen by specific, authorized viewers?
How to Get Your Video Assets Under Control
An enterprise video platform (EVP) can help your organization overcome these hurdles by simplifying video content creation, search, sharing, and content enrichment.
When considering your EVP options, it’s wise to focus on flexibility and automation so you quickly get – and easily keep – your enterprise video asset library under control. The most comprehensive systems should give you the ability to:
- Establish and enforce roles and permissions for your user base. This gives you more control over which individual users or groups can access which video assets, at what time, and for how long. This also provides a way to allow or restrict specific functions, such as editing or downloading a video, by user.
- Group content together by channels and categories. Bundling users and groups by channel – and classifying video content in categories – makes it easier to share specific content with specific users, and manage access and modification rights to maintain security control.
- Simplify content uploads with video templates. This helps users save time and minimize errors by capturing/saving common video settings for future video uploads. This is especially helpful for unrestricted, general-use videos, such as trainings or town halls, that are frequently uploaded and usually require the same settings each time.
- Govern video assets with expiration rules. By applying a set of rules (to keep content streamlined and/or to meet compliance policies), you can automatically remove video assets based on popularity and/or elapsed time.
- Leverage single and multi-layer approval processes. This helps ensure videos, such as training programs, are approved by all specified stakeholders (at one point or in stages, based on organizational needs) before it is viewed by other users.
- Set targets and measure success. Robust video analytics capabilities help unlock deeper user engagement insights. Harness these insights to support compliance, surface trends and patterns over time, and help maximize your video investments.
- Maximize searchability with AI. Giving users the ability to search by speaker, topic, or clip will help them easily navigate your content library and quickly find the videos and relevant topics they’re looking for – no more digging around!
Putting these advanced content management practices in place will help your enterprise drive increased engagement and productivity by making sure the right users can easily find and securely access the right video content, every time.
Here’s how Vbrick can help you optimize your video content management strategy – starting today!